If plans don’t miscarry, the Philippine Basketball Association will push through with the resumption of the 2020 Philippine Cup on October 9.
The league ushered in its 45th season on March 8 with the usual parade of teams and a lone game featuring defending champion San Miguel and Magnolia but had to suspend play three days after due to the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic.
The shortened conference will run until December 10 or 15 with an intended schedule of four or five game days per week with possibly three matches per day which will be played under strict health protocols as prescribed by the Inter-Agency Task Force on Emerging Infectious Diseases.
PBA commissioner Willie Marcial said that the Board of Governors will have a meeting within the week to discuss the details of the restart. He added that the league will seek the approval of the IATF for teams to move on to 5-on-5 scrimmages from limited group workouts.
“Nasa GCQ pa tayo sa Metro Manila,” bared Marcial. “So far, so good ang ating workouts since we began limited training last week. Maayos ang takbo. Teams are policing their own ranks while we send inspectors to monitor every team. Kung pumayag ang IATF to allow 5-on-5 scrimmages under our health/safety protocols, baka we can do it starting Sept. 15.”
The amiable executive also mentioned that the board will tackle the various scenarios of the season resumption in the coming meetings. Among the topics are whether to hold double or triple-headers or a combination of both and the frequency of game days in a bubble-concept setting.
“It will depend on when the IATF clears the start of 5-on-5 scrimmages and when we can reopen our season,” said Marcial who disclosed that at least 16 hotels have offered their hosting services. “The board will look into every option. We’ll talk with TV5/Cignal if OK sa kanila yung mga options.”